Reports to Preserve Manager
The Stewardship Assistant is responsible for assisting Preserve Managers and Building Stewardship staff. Duties will include land management and maintenance of equipment, roads, and structures. This will include operation of power equipment, such as chainsaws, tractors, and lawn mowers. The Stewardship Assistant will be required to physically perform, as needed, any and all tasks necessary for the maintenance of any Natural Lands’ Preserve and to occasionally work weekends, evenings, and holidays as requested to fulfill his or her responsibilities. The position will primarily assist Preserve Managers in Northampton, Bucks and Montgomery counties, although you may serve from time to time at all of the Natural Lands’ locations.
- Regular and consistent attendance
- Meadow/lawn mowing and trail/road maintenance with lawn and farm tractors
- Trimming around buildings as needed
- Maintenance and operation of equipment owned by Natural Lands including farm tractors, commercial mowers, chainsaws, and other preserve maintenance equipment
- Assisting Building Stewardship crew in building repairs and renovations
- Restoration of degraded natural areas
- Transfer of heavy equipment via truck and gooseneck trailer
- Adherence to Natural Lands’ stringent safety program and appropriate use of Personal Protective Equipment
- Assisting with preserve events and membership activities
- Trash collection within Preserves and along public roads
- Monitoring the land and structures for unwarranted use and vandalism
- Posting of Preserve boundaries
- Conduct bird censuses
- Participate in Natural Lands’ fire program.
- Highly motivated, responsible, reliable and dependable.
- Capable of performing a wide variety of physically demanding tasks
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and a good driving record
- Customer service attitude and be comfortable working with the general public.
- Flexibility when dealing with changes in work plans
- Carry out tasks in a professional manner.
- Adequate skills and a familiarity of the safe operation and care of basic hand and power tools.
- Willingness to perform subordinate tasks such as clean-up
Physical Requirements/ Working Conditions
The Stewardship Assistant will be required to perform a wide array of physically demanding tasks, necessary for the maintenance of the various preserves and to work weekends, evenings, and holidays as requested to fulfill his or her responsibilities. Regular and consistent attendance is required. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license in good standing.
Click here to apply using our online application system. Follow the application instructions to submit your resume and letter of interest. Address correspondence to Jeni W. Albany, Director of Human Resources.