Natural Lands is a non-profit organization that saves open space, cares for nature, and connects people to the outdoors in eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. We’ve been at it since the early 1950s and, today, more than 2.5 million people live within five miles of lands under our permanent protection.
Located in Villanova, PA, Stoneleigh: a natural garden is a 42-acre former private estate that opened as the Philadelphia area’s newest public garden in May of 2018. The Stoneleigh Summer Horticulture Internship is designed to provide interns with broad experience in the operation of a public garden, with a focus on ecological horticulture. The intern will assist in the creation and maintenance of garden landscapes and natural areas and will receive a behind-the-scenes look at public garden design and management. The intern will also be expected to complete a horticulture related independent project.
The internship, which will pay $14/hour will run from May through August, primarily on a schedule of Monday – Friday, 7.5 hours per day. Some weekend or evening event support may be required.
- Demonstrate a passion for horticulture and/or the natural world.
- No formal horticulture knowledge or experience is required.
- Must be comfortable engaging with diverse audiences.
- Highly motivated, responsible, reliable and dependable.
- Must carry out tasks in a professional manner and have an aptitude for injecting positive energy and good humor into the workday.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and a good driving record.
- Successfully pass a background check.
- Must be able to walk, stand, bend and squat on uneven terrain; must be able to lift and carry up to 40 pounds and push up to 50 pounds.
- Must be comfortable working from a ladder, lift and other high places.
- Must be prepared to work outdoors under all conditions, including heat, cold, and with occasional exposure to poison ivy, biting and stinging insects, etc.
- Must be available to work an occasional weekend, as needed to staff events.
Natural Lands seeks to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not only because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our organization stronger. We aim to build a workplace where employees feel empowered to be their full, authentic selves. We welcome you to explore a career at Natural Lands.
Natural Lands is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
FOR A FULL JOB DESCRIPTION OR TO APPLY: Click here to apply using our online application system. All correspondence should be addressed to Jeni W. Albany, Director of Human Resources.