Natural Lands is a non-profit organization that saves open space, cares for nature, and connects people to the outdoors in eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. We’ve been at it since the early 1950s and, today, more than 2.5 million people live within five miles of lands under our permanent protection.
Natural Lands is seeking an Engagement Intern to work with staff to develop and implement events and volunteer service opportunities that engage Natural Lands’ members, friends, and new audiences.
The internship will allow for exposure to event planning and implementation, guiding volunteer activities, interacting with public, analyzing impact on organizational mission to save open space, care for natural resources, and connect people to the outdoors.
• Assist with Outreach and Volunteer Event planning, from idea to post-event wrap-up, including: outlining event objective, experience, and expectations; processing registrations; compiling detailed event attendee information; tracking inventory of event supplies; preparing and disseminating all event materials; coordinating with preserve staff; guiding volunteers; assisting with day-of event activities.
• Assist with Event promotion, including: posting events to MeetUp.com and/or Facebook and drafting content for event fliers, event mailers, social media promo.
• Assist with Event documentation via photo and possibly video.
• Assist with outreach opportunities in a variety of ways, such as representing Natural Lands at community festivals, or serving as a preserve docent.
• Interact with and provide guidance to Volunteers.
• Research and development of a “Preserve Quest” visitor activity.
• Assist in staffing rentals at ChesLen Preserve.
• Other duties as needed.
• Pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree;
• Previous experience working with the public is preferred;
• A passion for Natural Land’s mission and a strong desire to forge lasting relationships that support that mission; a natural enthusiasm for the tasks;
• Creativity and a broad array of personal interests and experiences beyond conservation and the environment;
• Friendly, out-going, professional attitude
• Attention to detail; strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong computer skills including proficiency with word processing and spreadsheet programs; WordPress and Raiser’s Edge knowledge a plus;
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
• Reach, lift, carry, push, pull for placement and setup of event support items (tables, chairs, signs, displays, etc.);
• Working outdoors in all seasonal weather; handling dirt, plants and flowers; encountering bugs, birds, and other wildlife.
• Guiding and working alongside volunteers to plant trees, cut invasive shrubs and vines, weed gardens, and other stewardship activities.
• Ability to lift and carry 20-35 pounds and to walk and stand on uneven terrain;
• Available transportation and the ability to travel and carry supplies throughout the region (eastern PA and southern NJ) for meetings, conferences and events.
• Position will require a flexible schedule with the ability to work evenings and weekends, particularly during the spring and fall event seasons.
• $10.50 per hour
Send a resume and a letter of interest to Jeni Albany, Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.