Natural Lands, a vibrant, regional, nonprofit organization and leader in land conservation, natural resource stewardship, and public engagement, seeks a Director of Planned Giving to join our team at our headquarters on the Hildacy Preserve in Media, Pennsylvania.
Since the early 1950s, Natural Lands has saved open space, cared for nature, and connected people to the outdoors in eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Today, the organization is one of the nation’s largest regional land conservancies and is widely respected for its record of success, technical expertise, respectful and creative approach to partnerships, fiscal strength, and integrity.
Over the course of its nearly 70-year history, Natural Lands has helped preserve more than 125,000 acres including a network of 42 nature preserves and one public garden across two states and 13 counties. These 23,000 acres include many of the most spectacular and diverse properties in the region, which are enjoyed by more than 300,000 visitors annually.
Natural Lands seeks to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not only because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our organization stronger. We aim to build a workplace where employees feel empowered to be their full, authentic selves. We welcome you to explore a career at Natural Lands.
The Director of Planned Giving oversees and manages all aspects of Natural Lands’ planned giving program, and participates in other major gift fundraising, in a fast-paced and highly motivated Development Department. As an integral member of the Development team, the Director of Planned Giving has responsibilities and assignments associated with strategic and work planning, budgeting, communications, and events.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 12 or more years of experience with all aspects of planned gift program management and fundraising.
- Demonstrated record of success with planned gift fundraising, including a working knowledge of planned giving techniques, current trends in philanthropy, and estate and financial planning.
- Proven experience and excellence in managing relationships with donors, organizational leaders, and colleagues.
- A talent for managing-up (particularly senior management and board leadership), including evidence of successful solicitation and relationship management partnerships.
- Sensitivity to working with donors of advanced age and abilities—especially in bringing compassion, patience, careful listening skills, and an impulse to be supportive to bear.
- Proven ability to self-direct in pursuing goals.
- Unwavering commitment to discretion in dealing with donor information.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Practiced and successful history of non-profit case-making.
- Experience serving as a spokesperson for organizational priorities.
- Easy ability to make internal and external organizational connections.
- Capacity to balance multiple and sometimes competing deadlines and to work productively and amicably in a fast-paced and motivated environment.
- Proficiency in word processing and computer databases; knowledge of Blackbaud/Raiser’s Edge or similar fund-raising software preferred.
- A passion for conservation and Natural Lands’ mission.
- Willingness to take CPR and basic first aid training if not certified already.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Position requires hiking hills and walking uneven terrain in addition to reaching, lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling for placement and setup of event support items up to 20-35 pounds (tables, chairs, signs, displays, etc.).
- Ability to travel throughout the region (eastern PA and southern NJ) for meetings, events, and visits with a valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and a clean driving record.
- Successfully pass a background check.
- Position requires a flexible schedule with the ability to work evenings and weekends, particularly during the busy fall and spring event seasons.
Natural Lands is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. We aim to build a workplace where employees feel empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
FOR A FULL JOB DESCRIPTION OR TO APPLY
Click here to apply using our online application system. Follow the application instructions to submit your resume and letter of interest. Please address all applications to Kelsey L. Gvozdich, Esq., Human Resources Generalist.