- This event has passed.
Botanical Drawing Workshop
May 25, 2023 | 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Stoneleigh’s extensive native plant collections provide the perfect inspiration for botanical art creations. Join fellow artists in the garden to create beautiful Stoneleigh-inspired artwork of your choosing, from landscape drawings to floral illustrations to color studies.
Gather ideas during a guided stroll through the spring splendor of the garden, followed by studio time with our very own horticulturist Kristen Ryan, who has been a practicing artist for more than 15 years.
Bring just your sketchbook and a pen or bring your whole art caddy. All levels of experience are welcome.
Required for All:
- Your favorite sketchbook or multi-media drawing pad (up to 24”x36”)
- Masking tape (optional; the tape can be used to create crisp edges around your drawings)
- Archival pens, pencils (a range from 6B to 6H), charcoal or charcoal pencils, and/or colored pencils
- Hard and kneaded erasers
- Archival pens, hard pencils (HB, 2H, 4H)
- Hard eraser
- Travel watercolor
For nearly 80 years, Stoneleigh was the home of the Haas family, which donated the property to Natural Lands in 2016 so that it would remain preserved forever.
The property includes stately trees, winding pathways, and lush gardens that were designed by a number of notable landscape architects over the past century—including the Olmsted Brothers, sons of the famed Frederick Law Olmsted.
- Meet at the Welcome Kiosk.
- Bring a camera to capture your favorite spaces.
- Service animals are welcome as required by law. Pets are not permitted.
- Picnicking at the Catalpa Court pavilion is available as first come, first serve.
- The terrain is relatively level. There is about a mile-and-a-half of porous paved pathways and a mile of asphalt roads that are accessible to people who use strollers, wheelchairs, or other mobility aids.
- Accessible bathrooms are available on-site and will be open.
- This video is a guide to visiting Stoneleigh: a natural garden in Villanova, PA.
- Bring all materials as suggested above.
Help us all stay safe:
- If you are sick or not feeling well, please stay home
- Masking is optional. The CDC recommends masking for those who are at high risk for getting very sick when COVID-19 Community Levels are at Medium and for everyone when COVID-19 Community Levels are at High. People may choose to mask at any time.
Registration required to reserve your spot. Please complete and submit the secure, on-line registration form below, or contact Sam. $35 Natural Lands member, $40 non-member; $2 ACCESS Cardholders.
Not already a member, or you need to renew? Purchase membership AND event tickets below!
- $85 new member ticket includes event ticket and one year of Natural Lands membership. As a thanks for your member support, members are able to purchase 2 additional tickets at member price.
- We offer discounted tickets for registrants who are ACCESS Cardholders for $2 per person (limited to 4 tickets).
Events may be cancelled due to inclement weather or low registration. In that case, we will make every effort to update our website and contact registrants. Note that we cannot offer refunds of paid registrations or ticket purchases, but rest assured that your donation will help us in our work to save open space, care for nature, and connect people to the outdoors.
Attendance at Natural Lands programs and events constitutes consent to be photographed for use in print and electronic media. Images will not be identified using full names without written approval from the individual. Please notify Natural Lands staff if you would prefer that your photo not be used.
By registering for this event, I, as the participant, and/or parent or legal guardian of a minor participant, do hereby understand and acknowledge that by participating, in this, or any, Natural Lands’ event or activity, I am agreeing to indemnify and hold harmless Natural Lands, their respective administrators, directors, agents, officers, members, volunteers, employees, other participants, any sponsors, advertisers, and, if applicable, owners and lessors of premises on which the Activity takes place, (each considered one of the “RELEASEES” herein).
I further acknowledge, agree, and represent that I understand the nature of the Program and related Activities and my and/or the Minor’s experience and capabilities, and believe that I and/or the minor are qualified, in good health, and in proper physical condition to participate in such activity. I willingly agree to comply with the stated and customary terms and conditions of participation.
I fully understand that: (a) the Program and related Activities involve risks and dangers of damage to personal property and serious bodily injury, including permanent disability, paralysis, and death (“risks”); (b) these Risks and dangers may be caused by my and/or the Minor’s own actions or inactions, the actions or inactions of others participating in the Activity, the condition in which the Activity takes place, or the negligence of the “releasees” as aforementioned; (c) there may be other risks and social and economic losses either not known to me or not readily foreseeable at this time; and I fully accept and assume all such risks and all responsibility for losses, costs, and damages I and/or the minor incur as a result of my participation or that of the Minor in the Activity.
I hereby release, discharge, and covenant not to sue Natural Lands or any of their “releasees” from all liability, claims, demands, losses, injuries, damage to property, or other damages on my and/or the minor’s account caused or alleged to be caused in whole or in part by the negligence of the “releasees” or otherwise, including negligent rescue operations; and I further agree that if, despite this release and waiver of liability, assumption of risk, and indemnity agreement I, the Minor, or anyone on the Minor’s behalf makes a claim against any of the Releasees, I will indemnify, save, and hold harmless each of the releasees from any litigation expenses, attorney fees, loss, liability, damage, or cost which any may incur as the result of such claim.
I have read this Agreement, fully understand its terms, understand that I have given up substantial rights by registering for this event, and have done so freely and without any inducement or assurance of any nature and intend it to be a complete and unconditional release of all liability to the greatest extent allowed by law and agree that if any portion of this agreement is held to be invalid, the balance, notwithstanding, shall continue in full force and effect.